Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Anniversary&Happy Birthday

The passage that follows was written in Advanced Guidance today, when I remembered that the next couple of weeks are very special weeks. A tribute, to my dear Reese.

On July 16th, my "brother" Reese turns 23.

Sometime during my freshman year...
My brother died.

When I met him, he was the coolest guy ever.
He'd always greet me first online.
"hello ^.^"
"how goes?"
"*purpurpur* ^.^"
"DAH! >,<"

He was never really depressed.
But then again, he was never genuinely happy, either.

It was crazy.
My sophomore year English class began to read about school violence and it's triggers.
So Ms. Jones passes around different articles about different school shootings.
So I read the one that she gives me, and the whole time I'm thinking,
"Damn this guy is crazy. How did he get away with putting this on the internet?"
So I read on...
And spotted a familiar account name.
[Will not disclose username name OR website name.]
It said he shot up a school. Injured oh-so-many people. Killed one. Then himself.

It's a little surprising I didn't freak out right then and there.
I read on and listened to the class in a heady daze.
"No way," I thought. "It can't be. No, Reese isn't like that. No fucking way.
Nah. It's not him."
But the longer I sat there, looking at all the evidence,
the sooner I realized that it WAS him.

I must've been in complete shock without knowing it.
Because I wandered out of the classroom without asking Ms. Jones,
Stared off into thin air,
Then collapsed.
"NO! NO! IT'S NOT HIM!"
"IT CAN'T BE HIM!"
"WHY?!"
"REESE, WHY?!"
I cried for days.

It's early,
But it's hard to know that his birthday is 16 days away.
Call it an early tribute, and an early mourning.
In the time I knew him,
I loved him more than I knew anyone else did.

<3


I miss you always.

No comments: